On April 13, 2022, the United Kingdom notified the draft “The Toys and Cosmetic Products (Restriction of Chemical Substances) Regulations 2022” to the World Trade Organization. According to the document, the measures will amend permitted levels of certain chemicals in both the UK Toys and Cosmetics Regulations.
With notification no. G/TBT/N/GBR/47, the UK fulfilled a legal international trade obligation according to article 10 of the Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade.
Despite the absence of an official public communication, the Office for Product Safety and Standards has alerted interested parties and associations of upcoming changes in Annex II and III restrictions as early as April 6, 2022.
Amendments to the UK Toys Regulations
In the case of the Toys Regulations, the changes refer to the permitted limits of Aluminium, Aniline, and Formaldehyde. You can check the restrictions here.
Moreover, the draft foresees the prohibition of three new allergens in toys: Atranol, Chloratranol, and Methyl Heptine Carbonate.
Amendments to the UK Cosmetics Regulation
On the other hand, the draft envisages the following changes to the UK Cosmetics Regulation:
- New restrictions for Salicylic acid when it is not used as a preservative: up to 0.5% in body lotion, eye shadow, mascara, eyeliner, lipstick, and roll-on deodorant. This new limit is added to those already in place:
- Up to 3% in rinse-off cosmetics;
- Up to 2% in other products.
- Prohibition of Deoxyarbutin;
- Ban 35 new cosmetic ingredients classified as Carcinogenic, Mutagenic or Reprotoxic
(CMR) under GB Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) Regulation. Among them, there are Butylphenyl Methylpropional (Lilial) and Zinc Pyrithione. You can find the complete list here.
The proposed date of adoption of the draft Regulations is June 15, 2022. Conversely, the entry into force is envisaged for:
- December 15, 2022, in the case of:
a. The new permitted levels of Aluminium, Aniline, and Formaldehyde in toys;
b. The ban of Deoxyarbutin in cosmetic products;
c. The new restrictions on the use of Salicylic acid in cosmetic products.
2. October 15, 2022, for all other updates.
Was this article helpful?
Check Obelis UK News page to keep up to date with the latest Medical Devices and Cosmetics market in the UK.
Regulatory Affairs Department
Are you an Medical Device or Cosmetic manufacturer wishing to market your devices on the UK market? Contact Obelis UK, your UK Responsible Person today!
- WTO. (2022). 2022 No. COMSUMER PROTECTION The Toys and Cosmetic Products (Restriction of Chemical Substances) Regulations 2022. Retrieved on 03/05/2022 from https://members.wto.org/crnattachments/2022/TBT/GBR/22_2823_00_e.pdf